HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

OZschwitz: Draconian legislation destroying bookmaking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

OZschwitz: Draconian legislation destroying bookmaking Vide
PostSubject: OZschwitz: Draconian legislation destroying bookmaking   OZschwitz: Draconian legislation destroying bookmaking Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 1:36 am

AUSTRALIA'S biggest bookmaker, Con Kafataris, is abandoning the Sydney betting ring with the on-course wagering market in free fall and the future of other bagmen in doubt.

''I was averaging turnover between $2 million and $3 million on a Saturday but I'm now lucky to hold $750,000,'' Mr Kafataris told the Herald yesterday.

The millionaire bookie blames ''draconian'' legislation for the decline. He and other bookmakers have lobbied the state government to allow round-the-clock betting, internet access for clients and other betting options available to interstate rivals.

''It is like I'm running a fruit shop and I'm only allowed to sell apples and the shop next store sells apples, oranges, mangoes, grapes, the whole lot,'' he said. ''How can I compete?''

LNK
Back to top Go down

OZschwitz: Draconian legislation destroying bookmaking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps' Laissez-faire Free Trade Zone-