HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

10 capital cities that suck

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

10 capital cities that suck Vide
PostSubject: 10 capital cities that suck   10 capital cities that suck Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:37 am

As an Australian, I feel eminently qualified to comment on this - because we've got Canberra. And you'd have to agree, unless you're wildly passionate about roundabouts, satellite towns or funny buildings with grass on the roof, Canberra's not that great.

I mean sure, it has its charms (I'm being diplomatic here - I have no idea what they are). But if you were a tourist excited about visiting Australia's capital city, you'd feel pretty let down.

Canberra's not alone though. There are plenty of the world's capital cities that suck.

At its best, a capital can represent everything that's good about a country. Thousands of years of history and culture can be distilled into one thriving, buzzing metropolis. Go to Paris, or Delhi, or Buenos Aires, or Beijing, or Ouagadougou (sorry, I've just always wanted to type that), and you'll know exactly what their respective country is all about.

These, on the other hand ...

Pretoria, South Africa
South Africa's got a lot going for it: incredible game parks, beautiful coastlines and beaches, towering mountain ranges, the rich culture of the Zulus, Xhosa and hundreds more. None of which you'll find in Pretoria. It's close to Johannesburg, though, where you can ... ah, forget it.

Washington DC, USA
DC's OK. But when you've got the buzzing "centre of the universe" in New York just a short flight north, the cosmopolitan cool of Boston a bit further up, and even the rough charm of Philadelphia close by, you have to look at what you get in DC: the Smithsonian, fair enough, Capitol Hill, the Washington Monument ... that's one day filled up. Now what? Witness a mugging?

Suva, Fiji
Admittedly, something's gone amiss with your holiday planning if you're going to Fiji to spend time in the cities. But still, there's not much to recommend Suva. Unless fresh food markets and political instability are your thing.

Lima, Peru
Peru's an amazing place. Every traveller should see the beauty of the Andes (not to mention Machu Picchu), the mystery of the Nazca Lines, the floating villages of Lake Titicaca, and taste the beer of Arequipa. Unfortunately, most travellers will have to get through Lima to do it.

Ottawa, Canada
Ottawa suffers a serious case of Canberra Syndrome. Most people don't even know it's the capital. And what's in Ottawa? I dunno. Never been there. Has anyone?

Nairobi, Kenya
Anyone who's spent any serious time in Nairobi will have a mugging story to tell, whether it be them or their friends or workmates. And if it's not the petty crime that'll get you, it'll be a rusted old matatu rattling along the potholed roads. There's plenty of beauty in Kenya - none of it's in Nairobi.

Bern, Switzerland
Like DC, Bern's OK. If you just flew out of Australia and into Bern, and didn't see anything else, you'd think it was great. But if you realised what else Switzerland had to offer - Lucerne, Lake Thun, Interlaken, even Zurich - you'd wonder why you even bothered.

Brasilia, Brazil
From the air, Brasilia apparently looks like it's shaped like an aeroplane. And that, right there, is the one interesting fact about Brazil's capital city. Talk to any Brazilian - they'll tell you to avoid the place like a one-piece swimsuit.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Meh. It's all right. The shopping's good, if that's what you're into. The food's pretty good if you know where you're going. But after a day or two, you'll find yourself running out of things to do. And given what the rest of the country has to offer, there's not much point hanging around to dig deeper.

Zagreb, Croatia
Everyone raves about Croatia, and rightly so. They rave about its beaches, its seaside villages, its crystal-clear waters and its beautiful islands. But you don't often hear people mention Zagreb. There's a reason for that ...

LNK
Back to top Go down

10 capital cities that suck

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps With FreeStyle Miscellaneous-