YaY! ACLU, transgender Newark resident sues city police alleging harassment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

YaY! ACLU, transgender Newark resident sues city police alleging harassment Vide
PostSubject: YaY! ACLU, transgender Newark resident sues city police alleging harassment   YaY! ACLU, transgender Newark resident sues city police alleging harassment Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:52 pm

NEWARK -- The Newark Police Department illegally harassed a transgender woman and needs to reform its civilian complaint system to prevent future abuses, according to a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

The six-count lawsuit alleges two officers stopped Diana Taylor, born Christopher Moore, last March for no reason.

They then mocked her sexual orientation and threatened her with retaliation if she filed a complaint.

“I kept asking, ‘What did I do? What did I do?’” Taylor said at a news conference today.
“I’m coming forward now because this shouldn’t have happened to me.”

The lawsuit is the third the ACLU has filed against the police force in as many years, said Deborah Jacobs, the executive director of the ACLU’s New Jersey chapter. She called for a slew of department changes, including a way to submit civilian complaints online and an independent monitor to review the internal affairs division.

“(The administration) came in saying internal affairs was important, but we expect it to be run better than it is,” Jacobs said.

The Newark Police Department did not respond to requests for comment today.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/transgender_newark_resident_al.html

Burn the pigs!

🐷 🐷 🐷
Back to top Go down

YaY! ACLU, transgender Newark resident sues city police alleging harassment

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: Celebrate Evildoers' Inadvertent Contributions to AnCaps' Values!-