HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Malaysia: Beer drinker--'Please expedite caning'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Malaysia: Beer drinker--'Please expedite caning' Vide
PostSubject: Malaysia: Beer drinker--'Please expedite caning'   Malaysia: Beer drinker--'Please expedite caning' Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 1:46 am

A MUSLIM model who was ordered to be caned for drinking beer urged the Malaysian authorities on Sunday to decide what should happen to her four months after her case was halted.

Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, 32, was sentenced to six strokes by a religious court in July, the first woman ordered to be caned under Islamic law in Malaysia, a moderate Muslim-majority country.

But she won a surprise reprieve in late August when she was detained and then abruptly released by religious officials who had planned to take her to a jail where she was to undergo the thrashing.

The government said the sentence was 'too harsh' and could damage Malaysia's reputation.

'They should declare what they want to do with me, tell me, don't leave me in limbo, at least I would know where am I,' Ms Kartika told AFP by telephone from her hometown in northern Perak state. 'My stand is still the same - if they decide they want to cane me, please do it. I don't want to pressure them but what they promised is to postpone the caning until after the holy month of Ramadan, which was over in September.

LNK
Back to top Go down

Malaysia: Beer drinker--'Please expedite caning'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-