View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

ANCAPS support Saudi Blogger: 'This Country Needs Controversy' Vide
PostSubject: ANCAPS support Saudi Blogger: 'This Country Needs Controversy'   ANCAPS support Saudi Blogger: 'This Country Needs Controversy' Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 am

On Dec. 10, Saudi security agents arrested Saudi blogger Fouad al-Farhan (pictured), nicknamed "The Godfather" for his online prominence and popularity in Saudi Arabia. Saudi officials say Farhan was detained for "non-security reasons." Saudi officials did not respond to requests for comment. Many Saudis believe Farhan was arrested for writing about Saudi political prisoners and political reform.

Farhan was one of the first Saudi bloggers to blog under his real name, rather than a pseudonym. Saudi officials have yet to charge Farhan. He remains in detention where he's been since early December. ABC News corresponded with Farhan's close friend and fellow Saudi blogger Ahmed al-Omran, who helped launch a campaign to free Farhan.

How long have you known Fouad?

I have known Fouad for about two years. We started by reading and commenting on each others' blogs. We met in Riyadh in early 2006, and we kept in touch through phone and online until he was arrested. Since then, no one has been able to contact him.

Why do you choose to use your real names when using a pseudonym could be safer in Saudi Arabia?

We believe that reforming our country is a just cause worth fighting for, even it means taking the risk that is associated with using our real names. When we use our real names, it means that we stand by what we believe in and are totally responsible for what we are saying. This makes others take us more seriously than if we were hiding behind pseudonyms.

What do you expect to gain by blogging about subjects that some may view as controversial in Saudi Arabia?

I think this country needs controversy. Our country has been controlled by one mindset for a long time, and now is the time for those who think differently to speak out and ask questions -- even if it sparks some controversy. I say, let's talk and discuss our issues, it could be controversial and unsettling for some, but this is the only way out. Ignoring our problems and shoving them under the rug will not solve them.

What has the Saudi response been to your efforts to free Fouad?

People sympathize with him and say he should be released immediately. Very few people have said he deserved what happened to him because they think he went too far. Most people say he only exercised his God-given right of free speech, and there is no reason he should be detained.

Do you think this is a step back for freedom of speech in Saudi Arabia?

The margin for freedom of expression in the country has been expanding over the past few years, and I believe there is no way we can go back in that regard. But then you have a case like this, and you start to wonder if the country is serious about the commitment to reforms that free speech is a part of. I believe this incident is a test for the country, where it can demonstrate if it's committed to reforms.

Do you have any way of communicating with Fouad?

Unfortunately, no one has been able to contact him since his arrest. His father-in-law was allowed to visit him for one hour last month, but no one has been allowed to visit him since. I talked briefly with his wife after he was arrested, and she was clearly terrified and scared.

Do you think you are at risk of being arrested?

Even before Fouad was arrested, I knew that there was a possibility that I might get arrested. But I was willing to take that risk because I truly believe in the cause I'm fighting for.

Have you communicated with Saudi officials about Fouad's detention?

No, I have not. It took the government more than a week to respond to the media's requests to confirm his detention. Are they going to respond to a fellow blogger's questions about him? I don't think so.

Check out the Free Fouad Web site and Ahmed al-Omran's Web site.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2008/02/saudi-blogger-t.html
Back to top Go down

ANCAPS support Saudi Blogger: 'This Country Needs Controversy'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps On Rights, Individualism & Lifestyles-