View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Record Stash of Ancient Gold Found In Farmer's Field Vide
PostSubject: Record Stash of Ancient Gold Found In Farmer's Field   Record Stash of Ancient Gold Found In Farmer's Field Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:31 pm

The biggest stash of Anglo-Saxon gold and silver ever found has been unearthed in a farmer's field in Staffordshire, England, by an amateur treasure hunter using a metal detector. The hoard, estimated to date back to the 7th century, includes weapons, helmets, and gold coins. Archaeologists are stunned both by the size—some 1,500 pieces—and the workmanship of the treasure, which brought tears to one expert's eyes.

"I have this phrase that I say sometimes: 'Spirits of yesteryear take me where the coins appear.' But on that day I changed coins to gold," finder James Herbert told the BBC. "This is what metal detectorists dream of, finding stuff like this. But the vast amount there is just unbelievable." After the collection is valued and sold to museums, Herbert will share a reward expected to be in the millions with the landowner, a friend who gave him permission to search the field. ''

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/staffordshire/8272058.stm
Back to top Go down

Record Stash of Ancient Gold Found In Farmer's Field

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Non-Miscellaneous :: AnCaps With FreeStyle Miscellaneous-