AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’ Vide
PostSubject: Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’   Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’ Icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2020 2:37 am

Visitors view the scale model of development at Forest-City on one of the man-made islands on the ... [+] Malaysian side of the Straits of Johor.

Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’ 960x0

I was walking beneath the tightly packed, identical high-rise towers of Danga Bay, a new 20,000-person mixed-use development built entirely on reclaimed land in Johor Bahru, in the south of Malaysia, with my camera drawn. I had been writing about new cities and developments like this all over Asia for many years, and doing informal visits where I could get a feel for the place, chatting with home buyers and people running local businesses, was part of my standard operating procedure.
But something happened here that I hadn’t experienced before: I was approached by a security agent and was sternly told that I couldn’t use my camera—that cameras were not allowed in Danga Bay.
I questioned him: “So in a development where 20,000 people are supposed to live, nobody is allowed to have a camera?”
He said that was correct.
Of course, that wasn’t true, but there was nothing that I could do: I was in a small city-sized development that was 100% privately-owned and operated by the Chinese developer Country Garden. The word of the company was law.

What is a private city?

“A private city is kind of like a giant mall,” says Sarah Moser, an associate professor of geography at McGill University who has extensively studied the global new city movement. “If management doesn’t like you or the way you dress, they can theoretically expel you and you don’t have recourse to challenge this, as it is private property. There are no elected city councilors to appeal to and if you are seen as a troublemaker you could potentially be kicked out.”
Why Hundreds Of Completely New Cities Are Being Built Around The World Forbes Wade Shepard
Private cities, generally marketed as being “better, cheaper and freer than existing state models” have become the new trend in the 21st century urban development. They are mixed-use developments where people live, work and play that are presided over by a CEO rather than a mayor—a company rather than a government. In some ways, private cities are viewed as a “win-win” type of shortcut, as governments can get their new developments built for them via private capital rather than tax dollars and still take a cut of the earnings, while private firms can profit at each stage of the urbanization process.

Private cities, kind of like special economic zones, often have their own sets of rules which often run perpendicular to the laws of the nations they are geographically located within. They are essentially legal wild cards—a swath of land purchased by a private company that can be run as that company sees fit. They are wild cards where the conventions of the broader country don’t apply, where new labor regulations, tax codes, financial laws, business and property registration systems, and education models can be implemented and tested. The ideas behind many private cities tend to be very libertarian: get government out of the way and let the people prosper.
According to Moser, there are well over 15 new private cities and dozens more new urban areas being developed on public-private partnerships throughout the world today. Songdo, a 130,000-person new city owned and operated by Gale International and POSCO in South Korea is one of the dominant models of this movement. Forest City, a nascent $100 billion 700,000-person new city being built on reclaimed land just up the coast from Danga Bay by China’s Country Garden is another. As is Springfield, Australia, a private city that was built from scratch on 7,000 acres of bush by Australia’s 39th richest man that now houses 40,000 residents. Google even recently received approval to build a private “smart” city in a Toronto suburb.

“Private cities are appealing to many governments who want instant urban and economic development and believe that outsourcing to the private sector is efficient and lucrative,” Moser notes. “Real estate development companies and technology companies are attracted by the profits that stand to be made in new city projects and governments around the world are willing to cede land, utilities and control in the hopes of attracting Amazon or some other tech giant.”
Mark Lutter, the executive director of the Charter Cities Institute, takes a more positive view of private cities, claiming that they could allow for the implementation of new reforms that could harbor a more competitive business environment and ultimately boost a region’s economic prospects.

How The Growth Of New Cities Is Becoming A Global Economic Driver Forbes Wade Shepard
“By focusing on greenfield sites where there is no activity and no special interests groups, it tends to be possible to get a deeper set of reforms than otherwise possible,” he explains. “That can set the stage for this new governance that can lead to long-term growth.”
Matt Granfield has seen this happen in Australia’s private city of Springfield. “The advantage of being a private city is that we can take a long-term view and build the right infrastructure and amenity for residents and businesses, in the right place, at the right time,” he says. “This is in contrast to most non-private cities that are forever scrambling to retro-fit everything around the existing streets.”
Lutter used Singapore, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and Dubai as examples of the approach that private cities should take. “They all showed that it's possible to become a world-class city within two or three generations, sometimes even less,” he notes. “This was in part due to a more competitive business environment. We believe that this model can be replicated throughout emerging markets, primarily in Africa and Asia.”

What are the rights of individuals in private cities?

But there was something about that private security agent—who takes the place of the police—in Danga Bay that made me start questioning what an individual’s rights are in a private city. While private cities can surely be run fairly, corporations are generally not well versed in proper public administration, as the case with Celebration, Florida shows all too well. There are no requirement for a democratic process in private cities—ultimately, what the company says goes—and the main avenue for people to vote is with their feet: to decide whether or not they want to live there or not.
“There are many ambiguities in private cities about the rights of residents, the legal protections they have, and the legal recourse they have if something goes wrong,” Moser explains. “CEOs are fired not for failing the residents but for failing the shareholders. When a city is private, the priority of management is profit, not the needs of citizens.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2020/01/31/inside-the-rise-of-private-cities-priority-of-management-is-profit-not-the-needs-of-citizens/#11c8eeedc9c2

Better than good
Back to top Go down

Excellent: Inside The Rise Of Private Cities: ‘Priority Of Management Is Profit, Not The Needs Of Citizens’

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-