View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Vide
PostSubject: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 pm

I am a professor (I teach economics at Loyola University New Orleans). In my view, this means I should profess something. I would be bland and uninteresting to my students if all I did was offer them all sides of every controversial issue in an even-handed way, so that none of them even had a clue as to where I stood on any topic. Of course, I would be derelict in my duty if I only offered my own viewpoint. As John Stuart Mill says in his “On Liberty” (paraphrase) “if you only know your own side of an argument, you don’t even know that, since all views are contrasted with all others.” I thus feel obligated to acquaint my students with a plethora of viewpoints. So, what do I profess? Austrian economics and libertarian political economy. I offer to my students all sides of an issue, but within five minutes of my first lecture they can readily discern precisely where I stand.

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2019/03/19/how_i_profess_my_libertarianism_to_my_students_103667.html
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

PostSubject: Re: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

CovOps wrote:
“if you only know your own side of an argument, you don’t even know that, since all views are contrasted with all others.”

Solution: Don't argue with others!
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

PostSubject: Re: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 3:32 am

You mean like:

Secundus the Silent (fl. 2nd century AD) was a Cynic or Neopythagorean philosopher who lived in Athens in the early 2nd century, who had taken a vow of silence.

============

When he was an adult he decided to test the proposition that every woman is a whore. So he returned home dressed as a Cynic philosopher with long hair and a beard, and, unrecognisable to his own mother, he persuaded her to agree to sleep with him for fifty gold pieces. After he had spent the night with her, doing nothing more than sleeping chastely in her bed, he told her who he was. Shamed, his mother hanged herself, and Secundus, blaming his own tongue for the trouble he caused, committed himself to a lifelong vow of silence, for which reason he is also described as a Pythagorean philosopher.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secundus_the_Silent

===================

And you though the internet was kinky...
Back to top Go down
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

PostSubject: Re: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 9:16 pm

CovOps wrote:
You mean like:

Secundus the Silent (fl. 2nd century AD) was a Cynic or Neopythagorean philosopher who lived in Athens in the early 2nd century, who had taken a vow of silence.

No.
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

PostSubject: Re: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Muttley
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students   Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walter Block: How I Profess My Libertarianism to My Students

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-