Supposedly, death metal music inspires joy not violence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

PostSubject: Supposedly, death metal music inspires joy not violence   Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:26 pm

I've had one desire since I was born; to see my body ripped and torn.

The lyrics of death metal band Bloodbath's cannibalism-themed track, Eaten, do not leave much to the imagination. But neither this song - nor the gruesome lyrics of others of the genre - inspire violence.

That is the conclusion of Macquarie University's music lab, which used the track in a psychological test.

It revealed that death metal fans are not "desensitised" to violent imagery.

The findings are published in the Royal Society journal Open Science,

"[Death metal] fans are nice people," said Prof Bill Thompson, from the Australian university, which is based in Sydney. "They're not going to go out and hurt someone."

This latest study is part of a decades-long investigation by Prof Thompson and his colleagues into the emotional effects of music. These effects, he explained, are complex.

"Many people enjoy sad music, and that's a bit of a paradox - why would we want to make ourselves sad?" he asked. "The same can be said of music with aggressive or violent themes. For us, it's a psychological paradox - so [as scientists] we're curious, and at the same time we recognise that violence in the media is a socially significant issue."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47543875

Suspect

Supposedly, death metal music inspires joy not violence

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: More Via AnCaps: Culture, Art & Media-