AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end Vide
PostSubject: World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end   World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2018 8:45 pm

H.G. Wells is famous for having predicted air and space travel, the atomic bomb and the tank, satellite television and something like the internet. He is infamous for another claim: World War I would be “the war to end all war."
The British science fiction writer made that prediction in 1914, at the beginning of the war. The four years of carnage that ensued and the subsequent failure to secure a lasting peace – World War II broke out 20 years later – made his catchphrase synonymous with naive optimism and his prophecy as false as time travel.
But on the 100th anniversary of the armistice that ended the war (at 11 a.m. Nov. 11, 1918 – the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month) Wells’ optimism looks prescient after all.
Although World War I was not the war to end all wars, it was the beginning of the end of a certain kind of war. In the past 70 years, war as Wells knew it – between nations – has declined.
To anyone following news from Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Iraq or Afghanistan (where the United States fights its longest war), that might seem preposterous.
But partly because of ideas and institutions inspired by World War I, state-vs.-state, cross-border warfare has faded. Despite civil war and rebellion, terrorism and cyberwarfare, our time is more peaceful than its predecessors.   
Will it remain so? President Donald Trump, who went to France to commemorate the armistice’s centennial, has been more critical than any other president since World War II of the security and trade policies that did not end armed conflict but promoted what's known as the Long Peace.

World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end 636761622700400205-110118-WWI-Centennial-ONLINE

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/11/11/world-war-100th-anniversary-armistice-trump-france/1766101002/
Back to top Go down

World War I was not the 'war to end all war,' but it was the beginning of the end

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: Via AnCaps: Law & Enforced Unnatural Order-