AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RR Phantom

RR Phantom

Job/hobbies : Cayman Islands Actuary

Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents Vide
PostSubject: Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents   Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:28 pm

He was the sort of bloke you don't forget. A teacher full of life, brimming with passion for the children in his care. The type of teacher generations of young people remember as having a special role in their lives. His name was Bruce.

One of the best parts of my job as an MP is visiting schools in my western Sydney electorate, and meeting teachers such as Bruce devoted to their students and their job.

At his school, Bruce would organise events like the prefect investiture and the year 6 graduation. He'd always make it interesting and lively, with parent interaction and plenty of chances to show the school's talent. I'd always accept the invitation to these functions if I possibly could. They were enjoyable events.

A few weeks ago, as I was working at my desk in my Sydney office, I took a call from the school's principal. It wasn't the normal call from a principal, ringing to talk about a school event or to lobby for extra funding.

Instead, the principal was calling to tell me Bruce was dead. My surprise turned to shock as the principal calmly told me that Bruce had taken his own life.

A seemingly happy, certainly passionate, man, a man who had added so much value to so many lives, gone. A man who had for years cultivated the lifelong hopes and dreams of generations of students, had lost all hope of his own.

Like so many others, I was left wondering … why?

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. A day to reflect on the fact that each day, seven Australians take their own life. A day to remember that more Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents. A day to publicise the fact that suicide is responsible for 25 per cent of all deaths of men aged between 20 and 34.

I don't mind admitting I find these figures startling and disheartening. And these figures don't take into account the fact many deaths classified by coroners as "open findings" are, in reality, likely suicides.

Around the world, 1 million people take their own life every year - more than die as a result of war. Some groups are particularly prone to this scourge: men in rural and remote areas and Aboriginal people have particularly high suicide rates, while 80 per cent of suicides are committed by men.

Thousands of good lives are cut short, depression depriving people of years of happiness that could have been theirs if they could see their way through the fog that temporarily envelops their thinking. It is a fog that shuts off any vision of possible future happiness.

Conservatively, for every suicide, six family members and close friends are left behind. They have to grieve the loss of a loved one, and deal with a whirl of emotions and questions, such as whether the suicide could have been avoided, and whether anyone could have done more.

In some cases, such as Bruce's, the number of affected people is much greater. There are children wondering where their teacher has gone and why on earth he would have killed himself.

The tragic and high-profile suicides of the newsreader Charmaine Dragun and the actor Mark Priestley have raised the issue nationally, so we can focus on the problem as a society. This is not an issue we can sweep under the carpet, as difficult as it is to talk about. I'm not a psychologist and I don't profess to have any answer, let alone all the answers. But I know that initiatives such as the Salvation Army's website harness the power of modern technology to help those grappling with depression - and their families and friends - avoid the worst result.

I know organisations such as Beyond Blue, Lifeline, Inspire and Suicide Prevention Australia do a great job of lifting the profile of the issue and helping individuals. There have always been suicides, and there always will be. But if we can focus on the issue with the same vigour as we do for problems such as the road toll and cancer, we can make a difference. Governments can fund programs, but only societies can wipe away a stigma and talk about how we can best help people who have plumbed the depths.

Because life is too good to allow so many of our brothers and sisters to throw it away. And because our community can't afford to lose good men like Bruce.

LNK
Back to top Go down
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents Vide
PostSubject: Re: Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents   Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:39 pm

Quote :
More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents

Fucking unbelievable!

I lay the vast majority of the blame at the statists feet!

Evil motherfuckers!
Back to top Go down

Insufferable OZschwitz slave pen: More Australians commit suicide than are killed in car accidents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps & Psychology, Edumbcation, Even IndoctriNation-