AnCaps
ANARCHO-CAPITALISTS
Bitch-Slapping Statists For Fun & Profit Based On The Non-Aggression Principle

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CovOps

CovOps

Female Location : Ether-Sphere
Job/hobbies : Irrationality Exterminator
Humor : Über Serious

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty? Vide
PostSubject: Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty?   Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty? Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 4:04 am

Gene is a self-employed New Yorker who currently purchases his own health insurance. He also is a strong opponent of Obamacare. And starting next year, Gene plans to drop his health coverage in express protest of the health law’s mandate.

“I will cancel my insurance the instant I can no longer be denied insurance for preexisting conditions,” Gene wrote in an e-mail Sunday night. “I will not fill out the special IRS form.”

Gene asked that I not use his last name as he’s talking specifically about disobeying a federal mandate. But he had seen that, from time to time, I use this space to answer readers’ questions about the law. And Gene put his questions to me.

“I am especially interested to know what happens, if anything, when my 2013 federal tax return does not include the Obamacare form and when I refuse to comply with any request to produce one?” Gene asked in his e-mail. “Am I correct that if I do not provide the form, there is nothing the IRS can do to me? And if they can do something to me, what is it that they can do?”

To answer these questions, I called up Catherine Livingston. Up until January, she was the health-care counsel in the Internal Revenue Services’s Office of Chief Counsel. She now works as a partner at the law firm Jones Day.

The first thing I asked her was what happens if you don’t send in a form that specifies whether you do or don’t have insurance coverage. That, she told me, isn’t actually clear yet.

“We don’t know yet whether there will be a special additional form nor how the IRS will treat a return that comes in with missing information, she says. “Sometimes if something is missing the IRS can work without it. Sometimes the IRS will correspond and say, ‘We’re going to assume X is true unless you respond with different information.’ There’s a set of compliance procedures the IRS will need to develop to complement the approach to the form.”

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/05/13/readers-ask-we-answer-what-happens-if-you-dont-pay-obamacares-tax-penalty/?tid=pm_business_pop
Back to top Go down

Via Anarcho-Capitalists' Forum: What happens if you don’t pay Obamacare’s tax penalty?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Anarcho-Capitalist Categorical Imperatives :: AnCaps In Science, Technology & Environment-